Header
Pic

Neston Cross Comments Page Exit Tours

Old Quay Lane
Laundry Neston
Shadow
The old, deserted laundry, with it's large, empty, echoing rooms, down Quay Lane was another one of our favourite haunts, as youngsters.
Neston and Parkgate Hygenic Laundry was formed in 1896 on the site of Dee Side Electric Works. At the time, the laundry work was considered an alternative for girls to going into service. Tranmere Laundry took over the business in 1940 and eventually closed in the late 1950s.
The original Dee Side Electric Works was set up in 1882 by G.C. Taylor & Co. The cable insulating business proved so successful that they moved to Helsby in 1887 later changing their name to 'British Insulated Cable Company (BICC)
Shadow
The 'Old Quay House' dates back to the 17th century and was an inn until c1710. In 1750 it was leased to the County of Cheshire who used it as the Neston House of Correction to detain Irish vagrants who were being deported to Dublin under the Poor Laws.
Shadow
It became a private house in c1915 but had become derelict by the 1940s. During WW2, the Home Guard used it as target practice reducing it to little-more than rubble.
As kids, we searched many times for the underground smugglers' tunnel that was rumoured to run from the Old Quay, up to St. Mary's church in Neston.

Neston Cross Comments Page Exit Tours

Bottom