Header
Pic

Parkgate To the Comments Section Burton

Thornton Hough
Thornton Hough
shadow
c1954 - Under the spreading chestnut tree, the village smithy stands.
shadow

C1900 - When that same tree was a sapling!
In the Doomsday Book, this area of the Wirral, was named 'Toritone'.
The present name, Thornton Hough, was adopted when the daughter of the local landowner, Roger de Thornton, married Richard de Hoghe during the reign of Edward II.
The first Viscount Leverhulme began building the village, as we know it, in 1889.

shadow
Thornton Hough - c1906
Thornton Hough
shadow
Thornton Hough - 1940s
At this point, we can turn S.E. onto 'Raby Road'
or continue on.
Seven Stars Hotel
shadow
The Seven Stars Hotel, Thornton Hough - 1881. At the time this photograph was taken, the landlord was James Cleworth, whose name was clearly pronounced, above the door. The hotel, dating back to 1850, was on the important Neston to Woodside Ferry road.
Seven Stars Hotel
shadow
c1895 - It was about this time that the Seven Stars was given a facelift and William Burkey, of the ill-fated 'Royal Oak', Little Neston, took over the license between 1896 - 1906. The Star Cottages, on the right-hand side, later became part of the hotel.
Seven Stars Hotel
shadow
c1910
At this junction, we can return to 'Five Ways'

Neston Cross Comments Page Exit Tours

Bottom